What is an essential oil?
A variety of plants cover the Earth in different shapes, sizes, colors, and scents. Many of these plants contain compounds that typically can’t be seen with the naked eye—they hide within the roots, flowers, seeds, bark, or other areas of the plant. These compounds are known as essential oils. They are highly concentrated, making them extremely potent. Also referred to as volatile aromatic compounds, essential oils give a plant its aroma, protect it from harsh environmental conditions and insects, and even play a part in plant pollination. They are used for their physical and emotional benefits. One drop of a dōTERRA essential oil is safe, powerful, and effective.
How do I use essential oils?
There are hundreds of ways to use each essential oil. You will learn how to use them for cooking, cleaning, relaxation, hygiene, immune support, etc.
There are 3 main application methods: Aromatic, Topical, and/or Internal. Each oil has at least one of these methods. (Just a few examples shared below. You will receive tips on how to use these in a wide variety of ways.)
- AROMATIC :
Inhale from the bottle. Diffuse. Apply to a cotton ball. Make a spray.
- TOPICAL :
Use a carrier oil. Apply to bottoms of the feet, spine, pulse points. Apply to affected areas.
- INTERNAL :
Drop-in water. Drop under the tongue. Add to a veggie cap. Mix into recipes.
What are some basic safety tips?
- Dilution : Use a carrier oil such as FCO (fractionated coconut oil) when applying oils. This will help to avoid skin sensitization, help your oils to last longer, and help them to absorb into your body quicker.
- Hot Oils : Make sure to DILUTE with a carrier oil. IF an oil ever starts to burn, DO NOT add water. Instead, use a carrier oil or full-fat milk. Essential oils don’t mix with water so applying water to the affected area can actually drive the burn in deeper.
- Photosensitivity : Because citrus oils are made from the rind of the fruit, they are photosensitive! NO sunbathing after applying citrus oils! Avoid direct sunlight to the exposed area for at least 12 hours. Oils can be applied underneath clothing. Another great time to apply citrus oils is in the evening before bed.
- Safe Application : (areas to avoid) NEVER put oils in your eye, up your nose, or inside your ear canal. Instead, try diffusing. You can also safely apply areas on ear cartilage, behind the ear bone, on the eye bone (in a C shape), on the bridge of the nose, or underneath the nostrils. IF you are uncertain, you can ALWAYS reach out to me!
- Storage : For obvious reasons, essential oils should not be left out where small children can reach them, and bottles should always be sealed up with their lids after use. In addition to keeping essential oils in a safe place, it is important to keep the oils out of direct sunlight and away from heat, as light and heat can alter the chemical structure of the oils and lessen their efficacy. By storing your oils in a cool, dry place, you can preserve the delicate yet powerful properties they possess, allowing you to reap as many essential oil benefits as possible.
What are the most commonly used essential oils? How can you use them?
- Adds to a relaxing massage
- Creates a calming atmosphere
- Encourages a soothing environment
- Promotes tranquility
- Clears airways
- Promotes easy breathing
- Promotes a restful nights sleep
- Helps minimize the effects of seasonal threats
- Supports healthy digestion
- Soothes occasional stomach upset*
- Take orally to help reduce gas and occasional indigestion*
- Supports healthy cellular function*
- Provides a soothing aromatic experience
- Helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections
- Supports healthy immune and nervous system function
- Soothes occasional skin irritations
- Reduces anxious feelings
- Promotes peaceful sleep*
- Helps ease feelings of tension
- Cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion*
- Supports healthy respiratory function
- Uplifting, positive aroma
- Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin
- Promotes healthy immune function when used internally*
- Ingest to protect against environmental and seasonal threats*
- Supports healthy immune and respiratory function
- Protects against environmental threats
- Supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses*
- Promote healthy circulation*
- Energizing and uplifting aroma
- Used as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent
- Supports a healthy immune system, healthy digestion, and respiratory function
- Promotes healthy respiratory function
- Promotes clear breathing*
- Promotes digestive health
- Repels bugs naturally
- Powerful cleanser and purifying agent
- Internal use supports healthy immune function*
- Creates an uplifting environment
Questions or Comments?
You will be contacted within 24 hours